The first meeting of the AWABEL Project Board took place in Minsk
On December 19, 2019, in the building of UN/UNDP Country Office in Belarus, the first meeting of the Project Board took place under international technical assistance project “Strengthening Capacity of the State Border Committee of the Republic of Belarus in Combatting Illicit Trafficking of Weapons and Ammunition (AWABEL)” which is funded by the Federal Republic of Germany and implemented by UNDP in partnership with the State Border Committee.
The meeting which was attended by UNDP and State Border Committee representatives agreed and approved the Project’s Annual Work Plan for 2019-2020 and the Terms of Reference of the Project Board.
According to the Annual Work Plan the following activities will be arranged and implemented under the AWABEL project in 2020:
In the field of risk analysis:
- Two study visits to EU Member States (on risk profiling and on training of risk analysis experts).
- Provision of hardware and software to the risk analysis units of the Belarus border agency.
- The first seminar devoted to the development of a training module/course on risk analysis for the Border Service Institute.
In the field of weapon and ammunition detection at border crossing points:
- One study visit to the EU on training of experts in detection at border crossing points.
- EU expert mission to Belarus in order to assess the technical needs of the pre-selected border crossing points.
- The first seminar devoted to the development of a special training course/module on detection for the Centre for Training of Border Control Specialists located in Brest.
Following the results of the Project Board meeting the related minutes were signed.